Yorik Cathedral
Yorik Cathedral
yorik_cathedral.jpg
map_yorik_cathedral.jpg
Location Yorik, Ilefain
Affiliation Church of Light
Construction 1373-1378
Creator ?
Associated Figures Aren Zenden

Yorik Cathedral is an impressive cathedral in Yorik, Brehr, Ilefain. It is easily the largest building in Yorik and also one of the town's newest structures. Built over the foundations of the previous chapel, Yorik Cathedral is not dedicated to only the worship of the deities of light. Rather, it gathers under its eaves all the Ingredori, providing chapels for all of these deities in a communal forum. In a way, Yorik Cathedral is many different churches under one impressive roof.

Table of Contents

History


Yet even the previous chapel wasn’t the first holy site in this location. The core of both the original chapel and the new cathedral is an open-air courtyard surrounding a set of seven standing stones themselves surrounding a circular stone altar. These stones served the Len for centuries as a place of worship; although they generally venerated Urala at these stones, the stones themselves have a much older tradition. Len oral tradition maintains that the seven stones represent the seven towers of Urala’s otherworldly palace, but this is merely a story perpetuated by early Len seers eager to hide yet another bit of their homeland’s destructive history.

The original chapel built here was a collection of six different shrines, each its own building and connected to the others by open-air walkways. Urala’s worship was incorporated into these shrines as part of the peace accord with the local Lens, but the original builders also incorporated other deities as well. Three of these (Verai Songbird, Kira, and Dhanni) were patrons of the original founders of the Yorik Mercantile Consortium, while the last, Yunis and Helos, was the most popular among the initial settlers.

When the chapel burnt to the ground in 1372, Mayor Kendra de'la'Montagne set into motion a bold initiative. Not only would the chapel be rebuilt, but it would be done on a grand scale. A cathedral would be built in place of the chapel, and it would be made of stone and glass. Funding for this project came partially from the founding families, partially from Yorik businesses eager to earn favor in the eyes of the gods, and partially from the respective churches.

yorik_cathedral_in.jpg
Chapel of the Cathedral

Layout


It took years to finish the cathedral, but the end result is truly impressive. To the south, facing Yorik’s heart, are the shrines of civilization: legeon, Ornus and Verai Songbird. To the west, offering a view of the Old Light and the land beyond, are the shrines of Dhanni, Tala Errin, Kalabrath and Yunis and Helos. And to the east, facing the direction of the Yorik Boneyard and the rising sun, are the shrines of Solea Splendis, Shaydis, Damien, Urala, and even a shrine offered to Malym the Heartless.

Clergy


The previous chapel hosted less than a dozen acolytes, led by a well-loved cleric named Ezakien Tobyn, who sadly perished in the fire that claimed the church. The new high-priest of Yorik is his most accomplished student, a pleasant man named Aren Zenden. Himself a worshiper of Urala, Aren is very open about matters of faith and has slipped into the role of adviser for worshipers of other gods of Yorik with ease.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License