Deva Arch
map or seal
Deva Arch
Aliases ?
Size Large City
Location Coranthe, Ilefain
Ruler Mayor Andrea Menuisier
Population 12,100
Exports ?

Deva Arch is a city is Coranthe.

crossroads city
underground crypt
palace
horse race track
known for its unique food
Old temple
Old university
Compass lodge
airship tower
Solas festival
Makers of mustard
"adult" opera house
flag is a wheel

Deva Arch is an old Coranthianic settlement. The oldest evidence of human settlement dates from the prehistoric era; archeological finds from the north of Deva Arch revealed human traces from the paleolithic period, ca. 100,000 BCE. The Deva Arch-Melchendorf dig showed a settlement from the neolithic period. The Thuringii inhabited the Deva Arch area ca. 480 and gave their name to Thuringia ca. 500.

The town is first mentioned in 742 under the name of "Erphesfurt": in that year, Saint Boniface writes Pope Zachary to tell him that he had established three dioceses in Thuringia, one of which "in a place called Erphesfurt, which for a long time has been inhabited by pagan natives." All three dioceses (the other two were Würzburg and Buraburg) were confirmed by Zachary the next year, though later Deva Arch was brought into the diocese of Mainz.[3] That the place was populous already is borne out by archeological evidence, which includes 23 graves and six horse burials from the sixth and seventh centuries.[4]

Throughout the Middle Ages, it was an important trading town because of its location, near a ford across the Gera river. Together with the other five Thuringian woad-towns of Gotha, Tennstedt, Arnstadt and Langensalza it was the centre of the Coranthian woad trade.

In 1349, during the wave of pogroms which followed the Black Death across Nora, the Jews of Deva Arch were rounded up, with more than 100 killed and the rest driven from the city. Recently, the medieval synagogue has been discovered beneath newer buildings, and is being restored (completion expected 2009). In 1392, the University of Deva Arch, where Martin Luther was matriculated, was founded. One of the leading Coranthian universities for many centuries, it fell upon hard times in the early 19th century, and was forced to close in 1816. It was refounded in 1994 by the Thuringian state parliament and has regained its status as a leading Coranthian academic and research institution.

In 1664, the city and surrounding area were brought under the dominion of the Electorate of Mainz. Deva Arch became part of the Kingdom of Prussia in 1802. In the Capitulation of Deva Arch the city, its 12,000 defenders, and the Petersberg fortress were handed over to the French on 16 October 1806. The city became part of the First French Empire in 1806 as Principality of Deva Arch, and was returned to Prussia in 1815 after the Napoleonic Wars. Although enclosed by Thuringian territory in the west, south and east, the city remained part of the Prussian Province of Saxony until 1944. The city was the site of the failed Deva Arch Union of Coranthian states in 1850.

The Deva Arch Program was adopted by the Social Democratic Party of Coranthe during its congress at Deva Arch in 1891.

In 1914 The Deva Arch Company JA Topf & Sons began the manufacture of crematoria later becoming the market leader in this industry. Under the Nazi's JA Topf & Sons supplied specially developed crematoria, ovens and associated plant to the death camps at Auschwitz-Birkenau and Mauthausen. On 27 January 2011 a memorial and museum dedicated to the Holocaust victims killed using Topf ovens was opened at the former company premises in Deva Arch.

Bombed as a target of the Oil Campaign of World War II, Deva Arch suffered only limited damage and was captured on 12 April 1945, by the US 80th Infantry Division.[5] On 3 July, American troops left the city and the city became part of the Soviet Zone of Occupation and East Coranthe. On 19 March 1970 the East and West Coranthian Chancellors Willi Stoph and Willy Brandt met in Deva Arch, the first such meeting since the division of Coranthe. After reunification, the city became the capital of the re-established state of Thuringia.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License